Saturday 18 March 2023

One Minute Writing Workshop: If In Doubt, Read It Out

 Hello and welcome to this little one-minute writing workshop.


This month, I want to have a little chat about something that I do a lot when I’m editing my work: reading it out aloud.





Sometimes, we can write a passage down and there’s this little voice niggling away at the back of our head saying, “You know what, that’s not quite right.” Then, we read it over and over and darned if we can’t work out what’s actually wrong.


Well, in this situation, I find it very helpful to just take a moment and read the infernal passage aloud. Quite often, sentences can sound different when spoken aloud compared to that quiet voice we use in our heads. We can pick up tones, inflections, stray punctuation… all sorts of things.


So, the next time you type up something and think to yourself, “That doesn’t look right,” just take a moment to read it out loud. You might find it helps.


Don’t forget to visit my website www.aschambers.co.uk for more details about my books. 

You can subscribe to my newsletter here for up-to-date details regarding all my writing and appearances.

You can check out my Patreon Book Club for advanced screenings of my videos and free books.


Take care and keep looking out for what lurks in the shadows…

A.S.Chambers.


No comments:

Post a Comment