Sunday 16 October 2022

Short Story: the Scratchcard Man

 Hello and welcome to this entry about a short story I wrote some years ago.


The Scratchcard Man made its publication debut back in 2013’s Oh Taste And See. It tells the story of an individual going from door-to-door apparently selling lottery scratchcards. However, the story turns incredibly dark at the end, leading to brutal bloodshed.





This wasn’t actually the first incarnation of the story. I originally wrote it as The Ticket Man many, many years ago when I was a teenager making a bit of extra pocket money going, as the titular character does, from door-to-door selling scratchcards for a local charity. Every time the door was answered, the resident would call back into the house, “The Ticket Man’s here!” I was just starting to get into this whole writing lark and, being an avid reader of Stephen King, I sort of took what I was doing and “Kingified” it. I still have the original version kicking around in a folder somewhere, typed up on some lined paper that I probably purloined from school. Who knows, one of these days I might make a recording of it just for fun…


Don’t forget to visit my website www.aschambers.co.uk for more details about my books. 

You can subscribe to my newsletter here for up-to-date details regarding all my writing and appearances.

You can check out my Patreon Book Club for advanced screenings of my videos and free books.


Take care and keep looking out for what lurks in the shadows…

A.S.Chambers.


No comments:

Post a Comment